During the late 1960’s Anderson County was experiencing a dry period with water supplies and wells going dry. Community leaders approached Duke Power and Anderson County with the idea of establishing a rural water system for county residents but their efforts fell short..
In May of 1969 it was determined steps to establish a water system for our area was necessary. This process was set in motion by community leaders such as C.A. Bowen, Lee Axman, Austin Elrod, David McCall, Gordon Keys, Bobby Dunlap, Jim McGill, Ed Chamblee. Beeson Engineering was hire to guide this process and soon a meeting was set up with the County F.H.A. Supervisor to determine what actions were necessary to obtain a F.H.A. loan. For each tap that was purchased by residents for $50, $1000 could be obtained from the F.H.A. to establish a water distribution system that would supply water to anyone within the district’s boundaries.
After many hours of hard work, the State of South Carolina issued an Article of Incorporation to Hammond Water and Sewer Company on March 15, 1971.
In June 1974 a dedication program was held at Midway Presbyterian Church with Senator Strom Thurmond turning on the water to begin service to the Hammond community. Mr. Jimmy Hawkins was hired as the water company’s first superintendent.
In January 1978, Hammond Water and Big Creek Water District joined together to form a service company known as BC-H Service Company. The purpose of this company is to manage, maintain and operate both water systems. By forming this company, it allows both water districts to operate more efficiently and with less overhead cost.
In April of 2000 Hammond Water District joined together with 12 other local water districts and bought the Duke Power Water Plant located on Lake Hartwell. These 13 districts formed the Anderson Regional Joint Water System which maintains and operates the distribution system as well as the water treatment plant.